History of St Frideswide's Church
Guide to St Frideswide’s Church by Malcolm Graham
Designed by Samuel Sanders Teulon of Westminster and built by the local firm of Honour & Castle, St Frideswide’s Church was consecrated and opened to public worship on 10 April 1872. A twelve-page pdf guide to the history of the church by Malcolm Graham, retired Head of Oxfordshire Studies can be found here.
The Hunter Organ at St Frideswide’s Church
The Hunter Organ is a treasure at St Frideswide’s Church, and we frequently hold concerts (please see the events section for further details). An eight page pdf guide to the history and the restoration of the Hunter Organ can be found here.
St Frideswide with Binsey remembers
November, preceding Advent as it does, brings with it the start of a season during which we remember and reflect, as we move towards Christmastide. In November, in particular, we remember those killed in war and conflict with a particular focus on Remembrance Sunday. There are eighty-two names on the St Frideswide War Memorial, all First World War dead. We do not know why only the First War dead are recorded on the memorial. And we would welcome help with finding out why, and also with finding the names of those from our parish who were killed in the Second War and other subsequent wars and conflicts.
In relation to the First War dead, Stephanie Jenkins, who looks after our publications and our websites, has undertaken a scholarly and very moving piece of work on those men who are recorded on our memorial. Using a range of sources including regimental records, census data and contemporary copies of the Oxford Journal Illustrated, she has researched each man and his family. And she has found photographs of them, too. The result is the opportunity to get a real feel for the men themselves, an insight into their occupations, their families and their domestic lives. In addition Stephanie’s work provides a wider picture of the area and what it would have been like to live in this part of Oxford in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Familiar addresses come up including: Botley Road, West Street, Mill Street, Bridge Street, Alexandra Road, and Barrett Street. One of the men remembered is Alfred Mobey of 24 Barrett Street. He was killed in action on 22nd August 1917 aged 25. And in addition to being remembered on our War Memorial he is also commemorated at Tyne Cot Memorial, in Belgium.
We learn that Alfred was the eighth of eleven children. His father was Binsey born and bred. His parents married at St Margaret’s and he was baptised there on Christmas Day 1892. His father was a railway porter when they lived in Binsey but by the time the family lived in Barrett Street in 1911, he was working as a pianoforte porter. Before enlisting, and aged 18, Alfred worked as a footman at Cuddesdon College in 1911. Two of his sisters also went into service, one in North Oxford the other in Kent. And there is much more about Alfred and his family and on the eighty other men recorded on the St Frideswide War Memorial on the following website.
We will remember them.
Profile of the Osney Benefice, Oxford
A profile of the Osney Benefice from October 2011 can be found here.